12 February 2007

I Am Not the Same Person: a beginning

I have been hanging out at Target; and
sneaking lunches of hot artichoke-spinach dip at the Olive Garden.
Is there a Chi-Chi's around here?
10 years in and i'm finally getting homesick.

I thought i might get lost in Target today and forget that i was in Brooklyn, but the differences were too many and too manifest. For a moment, almost, considering the purchase of boys' A-line t-shirts, but i turned them down because of their color. I could have completed a circle; instead i may have begun a new pattern.

Assuring myself i am not the same person, i proceeded to check-out.

Who knows how nostalgia turns up? And beauty?

I reminisce about those who reminisce tired old towns, red slop and sagging courthouses, teacakes frosted with sweat and sweet talcum. For me, it is shiny white floors, embedded with flat, gray stones reflecting fluorescent lights, rows of right angles and smooth round corners, eyes sore from seeing so much.

I want to throw my arms around shopping malls and strip malls!

O, JC Penney's! Waldenbooks! O, Spencers!

No comments:

 

Free Website Counter
Proflowers