02 November 2006

Ew.

A commentor keeps insisting that my writing style is "victim-y." I am insulted by this to no end. I wish i weren't because i feel like my being insulted only feeds his opinion that i'm a victim. I'm sure that the best, noblest, high-roadiest thing to do would be to ignore him. Thank God i'm not that noble.

I'm angry because i'm doing my best to live my life in a responsible way and take responsibility for both my actions and my emotions. There was a time when i didn't. When i was going out with Th Ex, i was prepared to blame anyone but me for my sorrows. From the inside, i recognize the difference in how my life is shaping.

And blaming God for my troubles doesn't count as victimhood. Like i wrote in last night's post, i've grown to learn that one's relatioship to God is wholly unique. It takes a lot out of a person to be so responsible; sometimes i need to give it up to a higher power. We all feel like victims at some point or another and when i see my mind about to launch into a crazy, self-pitying rant, ("The fucking bank screwimg me over! My fucking Ex screwing me over! Fucking New York City screwing me over!") I try it out on God first. Almost 100% of the time, the fault can be traced back to wrong speech or wrong thinking or wrong action on my part. Because i meditate fairly often, i've gotten used to seeing some of the workings and the patterns of my mind. I do my best not to deny any of those patterns, but rather embrace them all as the unique, lively and bright colors that paint the mural of my mind. Because i'm so very open to all of the parts of my consciousness, my vulnerability may come across to some as victimhood. I read a lot of blogs, especially NYC gossip blogs (my dirty little secret is that i love celebrity gossip, so if you ever have any, let me know.), and there's lots of snarkiness and sarcasm. I'm doing pretty much the opposite here and showing myself to readers when i'm weak and confused and hurt. You might recognize these states of being in yourself; how often is it okay to sit with these states without trying to change them? How often are any of us able to sit in our own awkwardness without trying to cover it up with bravado or cynicism? How often are any of us willing to admit we're scared? But we all are: scared, confused, awkward, angry, "victim-y." We are also all beautiful, loving, strong and kind. One set of qualities isn't better than the other and running away from one and toward another only creates more suffering. Pema Chodron says it better than i do in her book The Wisdom of No Escape.

This is not an improvement plan; it is not a situation in which you try to be better than you are right now. If you have a bad temper and you feel that you harm yourself and others, you might think that sitting for a week or a month will make your bad temper go away- you will be that sweet person you always wanted to be. Never again will a harsh word leave your lily-white lips. The problem is that a desire to change is fundamentally a form of aggression toward yourself. The other problem is that our hang-ups, unfortunately or fortunately, contain our wealth. Our neurosis and our wisdom are made out of the same material. If you throw out your neurosis, you also throw out your wisdom.


By my example of showing myself at my worst, at my most frightened and not running away, i believe i will 1) strike a very deep and real chord in you the readers and 2) suggest that we don't have to hide the crazy as often as we think because everyone else is too busy hiding their own crazy to notice ours.

But this is the Internet and if i'm putting myself out there, i'm prepared to be insulted once in a while or come across someone who's travelling in a very different world than i am. Or maybe even often. So bring it on. I'm my worst critic (as well as my #1 Fan!), therefore it's unlikely you can do more damage than i've already done to myself.

xo,
SG

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

i disagree. i think that trying to change yourself is an important part of growing, and one can work on their neuroses. i've seen people change. you yourself have said that you changed for the better. that now you're taking more responsibility for yourself and your life. are you saying that's different because it wasn't a conscious change? i think that conscious change is just as noble as unconscious change, maybe even more so. if you make an effort to make a change in your life, and you make it, then you have really taken control of your life and that is courageous.

StonedGrrrl said...

Of course change is a part of life and a part of what any human being needs to do to grow. We can learn to look at what ails us, figure out the purpose the ailment has in our lives and then, let it go when it's no longer serving its purpose.

But in the meantime, i can't help but think that change comes more easily when we like ourselves now, in this moment, rather than focusing on how great we'll be when we have changed, when we finally figure out how to be nicer, make more money, be more outgoing. Sure changing in those ways will make anyone's life easier, but oft times, as soon as we change one thing, we find another thing that needs adjusting. It's an endless cycle (samsara) and i think the only way out if it is by accepting who i am right now. It's a hard thing to accept that i could be exactly who and how i'm supposed to be right now. I mean, who knows if i'll be around tomorrow? I don't wanna die thinking about all the things i didn't like about myself.

Read the Wisdom of No Escape. It's from a much more accomplished teacher than i am. And i think you'll like it, emily.

Anonymous said...

You wanted to know what I would consider empowering writing?

Well, this is it babes!

One post and you've totally turned it around. And if it took thinking I'm a total jerk and hating me last night, well, I'm willing to accept that, because it's not about me, it's about you.

Anyway, I don't think this post was victim-y at all, in fact it gave the impression of a powerful, confident woman.

Oh, and thanks for providing the link to my webpage.

Anonymous said...

But this is the Internet and if i'm putting myself out there, i'm prepared to be insulted once in a while or come across someone who's travelling in a very different world than i am.

Very well said.

mikster said...

I just hovered over the link of the person who accused you of being "victimy" and since it's a myspace account there was no sense in clicking on the link.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, it's a myspace page. And it's mine. Have you never heard of people having personal myspace pages?

Wow, Mike, you certainly are a dickhead.

StonedGrrrl said...

Stanley (and everyone, really), please refrain from name-calling. Your retort without the "dickhead" remark did the job. I assume that there will be disagreements between readers from time to time. I think that's great. However, when we resort to name-calling, there's very little chance at finding common ground. Mike's allowed to think that having a myspace page is lame and Stanley's allowed to think it's an effective way of promoting himself. I don't want to censor any comments (except spam), but we have to learn to play nice.

Anonymous said...

Where are you stonedgrrrl?
I miss your posts!

I hope your not discouraged by this guy. I find your posts so interesting and engaging ^_^

Will check back later

- Gabby

 

Free Website Counter
Proflowers