17 October 2006

The Hulk

I make art most of the time. In one way or another. I had an office job as a sales assistant at a children's book publishing house for several months after college and i was really bad at it. Don't ever hire me to be your secretary. I can't even type that fast.

After getting fired, i collected unemployment and was able to figure out a way to make money without sacrificing the time i dedicate to theatre and writing. And it's actually something i love to do, so it's even more of a bonus. I am in awe of people who work a 9 to 5 (or as is more often the case these days, 9 - 7). Working in an office made me feel like my body was collapsing from the inside. I could barely hold my head up. I'm not even that lazy and i enjoy getting up in the morning, but the thought of returning to my little cubicle each day of the week made me shiver and cry. And throw things. I'm not kidding. One morning i got so angry, i ripped my shirt off, Incredible Hulk-style.

My relationship with weed was at its worst then. The whole day i sat at my desk and made small talk with so many Long Island girls about "American Idol," i was fantasizing about the bong hit waiting for me when i returned home. I could see my 6 o'clock self happily drowning under the haze of weed and the warmth and weight of my covers. I wasn't trying to sleep; i wanted to sink into the center of the Earth and never resurface. I hated leaving my bed; it usually meant i was getting ready for work.

Thank God i've re-prioritized my life. The fear of returning to a 9 to 5 creeps in around the time i have to pay rent. And i don't have insurance. But i do have thousands of dollars in student loans. I'm happier, though, on a day to day basis. I sacrificied a steady income for being able to like waking up in the morning. And i'll probably marry rich anyway, so...

SG

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

i'm not really into blogs so i don't know if this is an inappropriate question...seeing since it hasn't come up. but i'm curious...how old are you? i guess i was just assuming you were my age because...i don't know. maybe i'm just egocentric and believe everyone is my age. haha.

Anonymous said...

Marry a rich guy.. and move to Nevada. Pot just might be legal there in a month.

Anonymous said...

You sound like I should know you... but, I don't know anybody in NY. I just got here a few days ago (in town for a month or two for some training), and don't know anybody. Which kinda sucks, cuz I've been w/o herbal supplements for 'bout 5 days now, with little hope in the near future. I tried to hook up with a '420' connect from Craigslist... he got flaky, I got nervous & tired of waiting. Miss living in Seattle =( I lived there off and on for about 10 years. *Suggestions - only marry for love, stick to art, follow your heart, and keep blogging. If you've got one more space for the circle... I'm housetrained. =)

dawn m. said...

what kind of art do you make? i realize that's a very loaded questions and for most artists that answer could be extremely long, but hey, you blog. so it seems a good format.

 

Free Website Counter
Proflowers